Friday, May 14, 2010

Safety Pins... is it that diffiicult?

I stopped by target to run a quick errand this morning.  I just needed safety pins.
hahahaha ya right... like I could ever go to target and leave with only safety pins.  
Anyway, after walking enough aisles for it to be considered my morning exercise,
I finally decided to just ask an employee so the errand could still be considered "quick."

Me:"Hi, I was wondering if you might know where the safety pins are?"
Target lady: Blank stare. "Um, uh, I don't, um, no english, sorry sorry."

I double checked to make sure that she was wearing a target tag and her khakis and red shirt 
just in case I had lost my head and happened to ask a random customer.
hahhaha ya right...like I could ever lose my head, not me.

Me, in super ultra nice mode: "Oh sorry, Its ok, thanks."
I am still wondering why I said sorry and thanks? 
Edna: "Something in spanish with a nice smile."

I was in a hurry and was probably going to be late
but I was more bothered by how someone could get a job, in customer service, 
in AMERICA, 
without knowing how to speak even a little english. 
but were moving on and were smiling people, smiling.

located another target lady... 
Me:"Hi, I was wondering if you might know where the safety pins are?"
  Target Lady: "Pens? Pens right here." as she pointed to all the writing utensils on the next aisle over.
Me:"No, not a pen to write with,  a safety pin."
Target Lady: Blank stare.
Me: "S a f e t y  pIns. You know...
(imagine me here using my hands to make the shape of a safety pin)
the sharp pointy kind...
Blank stare.
silver... 
with a clippy thingy on the end?"
I know, but you should try describing a safety pin.
Target Lady, while staring at the pens hanging on the wall with a sort of look-of-longing on her face as if hoping the pens could talk, said "That kind, um, pen, um don't know, these... all we have."

Right about then, 
I began rethinking my earlier consideration that just a little english would be helpful,
AND no.  
It's not.

UHG.
Really? Safety Pins. Is it that difficult?



8 comments:

Heather said...

HILARIOUS!!!! Yeah unfortunately some people shouldn't even have jobs at target!! ;) I love it when people mistake me as a worker somewhere and ask me where stuff is, I always try to be as helpful as possible while laughing to myself! OR when someone actually asks a real worker and they get the "ummm" response and I come to the rescue with more helpful info!! LOL! Too bad I couldn't be there for you when you needed it! Although safety pins would have stumped me! LOL!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the laugh. You're hilarious...my favorite part was imagining you using your hands to make a safety pin. :)

That is pretty messed up, isn't it?

the Chandler chronicles said...

Would it help if Target didn't hand out application forms in Spanish? Or CA didn't give driving tests in way too many foreign languages (aren't all our road signs in English?) I agree, with you. Frustrating. Did you finally get your safety pins? :)

Breana and Jordan Holmes said...

Are you sure you really didn't walk into a Walmart that was disguised as a Target? I really hope so! That is pretty bad.

Kyra said...

you should have seen me trying to describe what a granola bar was :) love lake elsinore!

The Gray Family said...

sounds like fun :>) Target and Costco are both vortexes that suck you in....you walk in with 1-2 items on your "quick list" and leave an hour later with an overloaded cart. How does that happen???

Jolene Warren said...

HOLY COW!! I am DYING!!! You are sooo funny, but mostly because EVERYONE experiences that same stupid idiot at Target that wouldn't know where to find the paper to wipe his own bum!! Deep Breath and then hit Michaels or Joanne's next time!! ;0))

Jolene Warren said...

Just thought that I would tell you that they have safety pins over with the sewing machines and such... LOL I have had to endure that torture before!! Over by the ironing boards and irons...