Thursday, October 22, 2009

Superman Powers




"It's time to get up for school ." I said to Kate.  In my bed.  Not her bed.
  
"I had a scary dream last night about Godzilla."  Kate said to me.  In my bed.  Not her bed.


"Yeah? What happened?"  I asked.


"Well, Godzilla was destroying our house.  I didn't like it so I used my superman powers and saved us."  She said it so matter of factly, like there was nothing at all to fear.


"What are your superman powers?"  I asked, dying to hear her explanation.


"I could fly and just by touching Godzillas arm he would disappear." I could tell that in her mind it made perfect sense.


"So you single handedly saved our whole family and our house?"  I asked, so in awe of her amazingness.


"YES!" she exclaimed... at the same time realizing her own amazingness. In my bed.  Not her bed.


"WOW! You are amazing.  Thanks Kate.  Does it feel good to be so strong?"  I asked, as I thought how I want her/ need her, to be strong in this world, all her life to fight against the real-life worldly Godzillas of our time.
  
She smiled really big and proud and said, "Yes... yes it does." She jumped out of my bed, not her bed, and ran off to get dressed hollering about large green monsters and crazy disconnected dream sequences, but my mind wandered off even though I kept saying, "wow... and weird.. and really" so she knew I was listening.


I was thinking about my baby, being strong, being brave, wanting to save our family, and how much the world needs strong brave good people like that, today.  I wish I could feel strong like that, always.




Sometimes I need reminding of the story of Elisha, the prophet being surrounded by a great host. Seeing that his young servant was worried, Elisha said to him “fear not, for they that be with us are more than they that be with them." Then Elisha prayed that the Lord would open his servants eyes and the Lord opened the eyes of his servant and he saw that the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about him; protecting them from danger(2 Kings 6: 15-17). Neal A. Maxwell reminds us, “Brothers and sisters, the spiritual arithmetic has not changed! They that be with us are far more that they that be with them." Even when your not allowed to sleep in your parents bed anymore. 


2 comments:

Heidi said...

Love this!

julie said...

love that story & thanks for the wonderful thoughts... hopefully my daughter will be this brave. xo