The Glory of God is Intelligence
Bio Med was the First class I ever had with both a lecture and a lab.
Lecture
mostly asked of us to listen, take notes and remember what we were taught. Wrote and rewrote notes, got together
with friends and quizzed one another endlessly on all the different names of
the body parts, digestive system and circulatory system, and all of their corresponding
locations and functions. The test would come and even though I was a good
student and put forth much effort, I didn’t get A’s. It was just too much information for me to process.
The
lab was the hands-on portion of the class. We were put in groups and given a dead cat that smelled
horribly of formaldehyde and was as stiff as a board. My best friend named our cat Turbo and gave him a mohawk. We spent lots of time
with him. We were asked to look
inside the cat and find the body parts, organs of the digestive system and how
they interconnected. It was a much
different process of learning. And
I enjoyed it much more than sitting and being lectured to. And what I found was
that.. the process of learning by doing was much more effective for me. It increased my understanding
exponentially. I got A’s
without having to study as many hours.
In many ways the lab was easier, more fun, and exciting and I got so
much more from it.
D&C 88:118 Seek Learning even by study
and also by faith.
Chalkboard:
Study Faith
Lecture lab
Taking
notes hands
on
Learn
by trying to remember learn
by doing/experience
“Faith is the principle of action in all intelligent beings.”
Have you ever asked
yourself, why does Heavenly Father want us to seek so much learning all the
time?
Seeking learning is
different then just a seeking for knowledge.
Elder Bednar said, “as we
look to the future and anticipate the ever more confused and turbulent world in
which we will live, I believe it will be essential for all of us to increase
our capacity to seek learning by faith.
We get more Learning by
doing!
Elder Bednar said that when
he learned how to learn, he became a better student of the Gospel.
Two
of My kids go to BYU Idaho and have both had to declare their majors and take
classes and labs to gain the necessary intelligence needed to receive their diplomas
Lets
say as members of the church we are on a quest to receive our diploma and were
MUST DECLARE OUR MAJOR in Celestial Glory.
(In
D&C 93:36 we learn the definition of “the
Glory of God is Intelligence or in other words light and truth”. so let’s
call it the Celestial intelligence major and we need to obtain all the
necessary intelligence needed in order to get that diploma.
Chalkboard:
Celestial
Intelligence Major
University
of Life
Grad
plan:
Classes
Lecture: receive instruction/try to
remember Lab:
Doing
Relief
Society visiting
teaching
Elders
Quorum home
teaching
High
Priest Group home
teaching
Young
men
scouting/duty to God/ (at mutual)
Young
women personal
progress (at mutual)
This act of home and
visiting teaching is essential to our learning, understanding and progression
in this life.
In the process of, “the doing” of, the lab of home and
visiting teaching, we discover more about how to be like Jesus than studying
Jesus’ life.
Same is true for scouting,
duty to god, and personal progress.
But do we ever think of it
that way? Often it becomes a checklist
and just a duty we feel obligated to complete.
When we seek learning by
doing however, we are acquiring the same characteristics of Jesus
Christ.
And by allowing others to
home and visit teach us we are seeing the characteristics of Jesus Christ in
action. It is a much more alive
and active way of learning and understanding the gospel.
So like my biomed lab, it helps
me remember what I am learning. And it increases my understanding exponentially!! so I have much greater success!
So Why do so many of us
struggle with doing our home and visiting teaching?
Why do we have such a hard
time committing to completing our duty to God and personal progress
I asked 40 men 40 women to
answer something for me so in true family feud form …(ask 2 families ahead of time to help during meeting)
Chalkboard:
Top three answers are on the
board. Here is the question…
What are the top 3 reasons
for not doing our home teaching or visiting teaching?
1. I run out of time, I don’t have enough time, I am too busy
2. I found the time but the people I visit ran out of time
3. Afraid I might be bothering those I am called to visit
I think as a visiting teacher myself I
already knew the answer to this question but it was good to hear that I wasn’t
the only one feeling that way and wasn’t the only one having that experience.
So
now what? As members of the church
we are very busy. And often with many good things.
I’d like to suggest that for
many of us we have not declared our major.
We have not decided that we
choose to get our degree in Celestial Intelligence
and we are getting
distracted by all the other fun and maybe even, not so fun, and interesting
classes there are being offering at the university of Life.
And don’t get me wrong;
there are many noble and great degrees that do much good, however,
If celestial intelligence is our ultimate goal in life then,
it must be our first priority
And we can minor in other
things.
There
is a scripture that I have come to love for the blessing it promises. I will
interchange the word glory and light with intelligence as I read it. Because of the definition we read
earlier of the glory of God is intelligence or in other words light and
truth.
D&C
88 67
“if
your eye be single to (obtaining my intelligence), your whole bodies shall be
filled with (intelligence) and there shall be no darkness in you, and that body
which is filled with (intelligence) comprehendeth all things.
Put
obtaining God’s intelligence first in your life. Be willing to learn by faith. Be willing to do the hands on activity of the Gospel.
It
goes on to say…
:"Therefore
sanctify yourselves that your minds become single to God, and the day will come
that you shall see him; for he will unveil his face unto you.”
And,
I testify that when God unveils his face to us we will see Him and his
intelligence in everything. He is
in the sun and the sunset, he is the beauty of the earth and in beautiful
music, his intelligence inspires invention and progress, he is in the laughter
of children and the wonders of space. Everything
in this life testifies of Him.
and… He is teaching us in every act of
service and every sacrifice of self;
Through
every act of parenting and
every
act of strengthening our marriage,
in
ever trip to the temple
and
every home visit.
in every
action we make to love one another
and
serve our fellow man.
Its
my hope that we don’t forget why we are here at the University of Life.
Lets
declare BOLDY or majors
and
SEEK continually from the laboratory of the Gospel by putting our desire to
learn Gods ways first.
I
testify that even if we don’t think we can ever be good at loving, serving, and
sheparding someone, His intelligence can
change us in miraculous ways.
Jesus Christ proves to us over and over in the scriptures that he can do
miraculous things. He can change
water to wine. He can make a blind
man see. He can make a deaf man
hear. He can make a lame man
walk. He even has the power to
raise the dead.
I
believe he showed us all of these miracles to prove to us what happens to us
when we seek learning by faith. He
can do all these things for us spiritually and intellectually.
He
can change man. In the topical
guide under man new, spiritually reborn,
it
lists scripture after scripture saying…
God
gave him another heart
I
will give him a heart to know me
I
will put a new spirit within you
Make
you a new heart and a new spirit
Help
you walk in newness of life
Renew
your mind
In
Christ you are a new creature
Thy
faith(doing) hath made thee whole
Hearts
had been changed and
He
was born of the spirit and became quickened.
Id
like to suggest that the miracle we will love most is the one he will perform
on us.
And
it wont happen unless we seek learning by doing!



1 comment:
I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.
Post a Comment