In a talk that General Relief Society President Bonnie D. Parkin gave with the general yw and general primary presidents back in 2004 ish she spoke about just this kind of thing. She was sharing with us a story about her own son and how she had always taught her children to keep the Sabbath day holy and not go to the store or seek entertainment like going to the movies or anything on that day but to spend it in a restful way with family and serving others. However when her son had gotten a little older, (late teens, I think she said he was 17) she began to allow him to choose for himself about how he would keep the Sabbath day holy. She figured that by now, the lessons have been taught and it's time for him to gain a testimony for himself. She said that If she always chose for him then when he was out on his own, what force would drive him to do the right thing? There wouldn't be any parents there to enforce this behavior. She realized that if he didn't believe in this for himself, in his own heart, then it is not something he would follow once on his own. Or in other words, He wouldn't have a testimony of the benefits of following this commandment because he never gained his own personal conviction about why it is important and how living it will bless HIS own life. Instead he only lives it to please his parents... and while that is ok when children are very small, it is only lip service when they are teenagers. Anyway, Sister Parkin allowed her son, this particular night, to choose for himself what he would do after being asked by some of his friends if he wanted to join them to go see a movie on Sunday night. It pained her a great deal that he chose to go. She said to him that she knew that he knew what he had been taught about the Sabbath and what was right. She said I trust that you will do the right thing but he chose otherwise.
A lot of times teenagers fail to understand the wisdom of the commandments because they lack the experience necessary to gain it. However, at some point, they must know why to obey a commandment. They must have that question answered in a satisfactory way for them or they will continue to doubt and rebel against the very thing you want them to do because they don't understand. Unfortunately sometimes, our children must learn from experience. This is so painful for me as a parent as I am sure that it is for others. Ideally, I wish all my children would trust me to navigate their lives for them and help them find their way, but not all children trust, and not all children learn that way.
I have to remind myself often that our best example of parenting comes form our wise Heavenly Father. He has given us our agency. It is by far one of the greatest gifts he could bestow upon his children. He loves us so much and wants everyone of his children to return to him BUT he will not force us. He will never never ever interfere with our agency. It is up to us, individually, to choose his way over the worlds way. Just like the choice Eve ultimately made to start this human family. She would stand still and live forever without progress if she never had to choose something. At some point we all have to choose if we want to progress! Heavenly Father will never force us to do his will. But make no mistake, he will never give up providing everything we need to make good choices if we desire it. He works tirelessly to bring to pass immortality and eternal life of man so that his whole family can be together again with him.
Sister Parkin explained in her training that as her son came home that night and over the next few days they talked a lot about his decision. She asked him (NOT in a sarcastic tone but a loving one) if it was worth it? and ultimately her son realized that it wasn't. Now, she doesn't really need to worry much anymore about what he will choose next time, or next year or even how he will raise his own kids because the wisdom of the doctrine of the Sabbath day is in his own heart not just his Mom's anymore. I bet there were those that condemned her for her decisions that night to allow her son to choose. I applaud her courage to trust in Heavenly Father's example at a time when she felt it was right for her son.
I love the primary song, I am trying to be like Jesus, learning to do his will... I really am trying... but I find more and more that in parenting, I am trying to be like Heavenly Father and It is not easy.
A lot of times teenagers fail to understand the wisdom of the commandments because they lack the experience necessary to gain it. However, at some point, they must know why to obey a commandment. They must have that question answered in a satisfactory way for them or they will continue to doubt and rebel against the very thing you want them to do because they don't understand. Unfortunately sometimes, our children must learn from experience. This is so painful for me as a parent as I am sure that it is for others. Ideally, I wish all my children would trust me to navigate their lives for them and help them find their way, but not all children trust, and not all children learn that way.
I have to remind myself often that our best example of parenting comes form our wise Heavenly Father. He has given us our agency. It is by far one of the greatest gifts he could bestow upon his children. He loves us so much and wants everyone of his children to return to him BUT he will not force us. He will never never ever interfere with our agency. It is up to us, individually, to choose his way over the worlds way. Just like the choice Eve ultimately made to start this human family. She would stand still and live forever without progress if she never had to choose something. At some point we all have to choose if we want to progress! Heavenly Father will never force us to do his will. But make no mistake, he will never give up providing everything we need to make good choices if we desire it. He works tirelessly to bring to pass immortality and eternal life of man so that his whole family can be together again with him.
Sister Parkin explained in her training that as her son came home that night and over the next few days they talked a lot about his decision. She asked him (NOT in a sarcastic tone but a loving one) if it was worth it? and ultimately her son realized that it wasn't. Now, she doesn't really need to worry much anymore about what he will choose next time, or next year or even how he will raise his own kids because the wisdom of the doctrine of the Sabbath day is in his own heart not just his Mom's anymore. I bet there were those that condemned her for her decisions that night to allow her son to choose. I applaud her courage to trust in Heavenly Father's example at a time when she felt it was right for her son.
I love the primary song, I am trying to be like Jesus, learning to do his will... I really am trying... but I find more and more that in parenting, I am trying to be like Heavenly Father and It is not easy.



5 comments:
OOOHHHHHH, you are sharing my heart right now! Bless you sweetie. I love you!
Beautifully said and oh so hard to do!!!
So much to look forward to! ;)
You said, "A lot of times teenagers fail to understand the wisdom of the commandments..." I remember when I finally realized just what you said--the WISDOM of the commandments. It was after I was married. The transition from youth to adult really opened my eyes to just how wise the commandments really are.
I think for many youth, especially me, I had to live by faith. I didn't understand why we are counselled not to date until 16, the importance of modesty, or the harm in exclusive dating, among other things. Now, it's all so clear. But at the time, it was completely a matter of living by faith: faith in a prophet, faith that my Heavenly Father knew best, faith that I would be happy if I obeyed, etc. Living by faith isn't always easy, but I'm sure it helped me learn in ways I don't even realize that do and will help me throughout my life.
My epistle is over. :)
Stephanie! i love your comment. Thank for your insight, i can't tell you how much i appreciate hearing your perspective since you are so much closer to my kids ages than mine! I can see how much i need to help them trust Heavenly Father and the prophet enough to have that faith to obey. I haven't figured out the fail-proof way to help someone trust yet though. It reminds me of the 10 virgins and their oil lamps. some were empty and wanted to borrow others oil. But the others could not share. the oil represents all the things we do in our lives to build our faith and that can not be shared! it can be expressed and exemplified but it can not be given. I wish i could give it to my kids and this is so difficult for me! of all the things i wish i could give my children!!!!
you give me hope though. thanks for your sweet comment! xoxo
This shows me another reason why I think you are amazing...I love you :)
Post a Comment